Bellingen High School

Truth Triumphs

Telephone02 6655 1315

Creative arts

In creative arts, students discover a variety of art forms through a study of dance, drama, music and visual arts.

Studying the creative arts, students learn to appreciate, compose, listen, make and perform. Each art form has its own unique knowledge and skills, elements or concepts as well as a capacity to inspire and enrich lives.

Students must study 100 hours of both music and visual arts during Years 7 to 10. They also have an opportunity to further develop their knowledge and skills in other art forms through elective subjects including drama, dance, photography and visual design. Students can then select from a range of courses in Years 11 to 12.


Bellingen High School students have achieved outstanding results in music over the years, including several perfect scores in extension music in 2008 and 2006. Many students have continued their studies at tertiary level and can be seen on the professional circuit today.

Our music courses place an emphasis on practical music with additional opportunities available through the school's instrumental and choral programs. The school provides:

  • a Concert Band
  • Jazz Band
  • Chamber Ensemble
  • Senior Choir
  • General Choir
  • small ensembles.

Instrumental and vocal lessons are available throughout the day at school. Lessons provided by specialist teachers who come to the school on a daily basis are available for:

a number of wind instruments:

  • flute
  • oboe
  • clarinet
  • bassoon
  • trumpet
  • french horn
  • trombone
  • tuba

string instruments:

  • violin
  • viola
  • cello
  • bass
  • guitar
  • bass guitar

and percussion and voice. 

Our students often represent the school at Regional and State Level. The State Wind Band and Schools Spectacular Orchestra often have members from Bellingen High School.

The ensembles also play an important role in community activities, and can be seen at:

  • the Community Markets
  • Bellingen Show
  • Urunga Carols
  • Bellingen Jazz Festival
  • the View Club to name a few.

A musical is produced biannually, bringing the Arts together for a common goal. Past productions include:

  • Once Upon a Mattress
  • Pirates of Penzance
  • A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum.


Drama is the study of theatre and acting. It is offered from year 8 as a semester course to Yr 12 Higher School Certificate (HSC) level.

In all years, skills areas including:

  • mime
  • movement
  • improvisation
  • voice 
  • stagecraft are explored.

As well as the technical aspects of theatre and performance including:

  • design - including lighting and sound
  • costume
  • publicity
  • scenic design. 

We also now offer filmmaking with the opportunity to act, direct, film and edit a short video piece. In each year the students take part in a full production which is enjoyed by large audiences. 

The preliminary (Yr 11) and HSC course looks to build on the skills established in the junior course but is still suitable for a student to join the course having not previously studied drama. The senior course looks to the prime influences on theatre that have developed by a study of significant theatrical trends and innovators. The course allows students to choose an Individual Project and to take part in a group Devised Performance. These practical components comprise 60 per cent of the HSC result. The written exam compromises the remaining 40 per cent.

Visual Arts

Art is a subject offered to junior and senior students at this school. Many topics are covered such as:

  • painting
  • drawing
  • sculpture
  • printmaking 
  • murals. 

Major works for the HSC have been included in the ARTEXPRESS Exhibition.